While Jennifer’s practice primarily focuses on the needs of seniors in our community, she counsels clients at various life stages through the following types of decisions:
1) Decisions regarding Health Care
- Do you have the basic documents to assist your family should you become incapacitated?
- Healthcare Powers of Attorney
- Medical Directive (Living Will)
- Do Not Resuscitate Orders
- Have you discussed your wishes with your family or given them a copy of these documents?
2) Decisions regarding Children
- Should you and your spouse pass away unexpectedly or become incapacitated, who will assume guardianship of any minor children?
- Guardianship provision in a Will
- Stand-Alone Declaration of Guardianship
- If you have older children (between the ages of 18-21), is there a plan in place should those children become incapacitated and need medical care?
- Healthcare Power of Attorney
- Durable Power of Attorney
- HIPAA Authorization
3) Decisions regarding your Care Plan
- Should you need care as you get older, what is your preference?
- In home
- Assisted living
- Nursing home
- How will you pay for care (should you and/or your spouse need it)?
- Personal income and/or assets
- Long Term Care insurance
- Texas Medicaid Programs
- Nursing home care
- Community First Choice
- Primary Home Care
- Day Activity Health Services
- Have you discussed your wishes for care with your family?
- Have you considered pre-paying your burial/funeral?
- Have you discussed your wishes with your family?
4) Decisions regarding your Transfer of Assets
- To whom would you like to bequeath your assets?
- Do you already have a will in place that needs to be reviewed or updated?
- What does your estate look like (i.e. real property, investments, life insurance policies)?
- What will be the cost (both time and expense) of probate?
- Can some assets be sheltered through a trust or other vehicle?
- If married, what plan is in place for your surviving spouse?
- What tax issues should be taken into consideration?
- Estate tax
- Gift tax
- Capital gains tax
Balmos Law, PLLC
2652 FM 407
Bartonville, Texas 76226